Admission criteria for the BA program in American Studies comprise a high-school diploma and an adequate grade in High-level English at the school-leaving exams. MA admission criteria include an undergraduate degree and an adequate score at the entrance exam.
Check out what to expect!
BA Program (1st degree)
- Registration ends on August 12th, 2020 (starts July 13th)
- The limit of students to be admitted is 197.
- Announcement of ranking list online in Internet Registration of Candidates (irk): August 24th, 2020
- Reception of documents at the American Studies Center, aleja Niepodległości 22, Warsaw:
First round: August 25th–27th, 2020
Second round (the waiting list): August 28th–31st, 2020
Third round (the waiting list): September 1st–2nd, 2020
Third round (the waiting list): September 3rd–4th, 2020
The additional oral exams for candidates with foreign diplomas will be conducted online on August 20-21, 2020. Detailed schedule will be announced at a later date.
+48 22 55 333 26
dr Anna Kurowicka
Head of the Admissions Committee
A library. Photo by Dakota Corbin on Unsplash
MA Program (2nd degree)
The basis for qualification to study is a written exam, which is a test of predisposition to study in English. The test consists of questions checking reading comprehension and ability to work with written text.
- Number of students to be admitted is up to 70
- Registration ends on October 1st, 2020 (starts September 5th)
- Entrance exam: October 7th, 2020 at 10:00–12:00 (UTC +2), Auditorium Maximum, University of Warsaw, Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28, Warszawa
This year’s entrance exam will be held at the Auditorium Maximum, following social distancing guidelines provided by the University of Warsaw. Potential candidates must thus be in Warsaw in person to take the exam. We will inform the candidates about specific procedures at a later date.
- Announcement of results: October 12th, 2020
- Reception of documents: October 13th–14th, 2020
- Reception of documents by the candidates admitted from the waiting list: October 15th-16th
Entrance tests from the previous years:
Frequently Asked Questions
BA PROGRAM (1ST DEGREE)
- How to register?
You need to set up an account in the IRK system (https://irk.oferta.uw.edu.pl/pl/home/), choose the programs you want to be admitted to and pay admissions fees by the required deadline.
- Is this a paid program?
BA program is free.
- What are the deadlines of registration?
The online registration for the BA program of the year 2020/2021 starts July 13th, 2020. Here’s the link to the registration platform https://irk.oferta.uw.edu.pl/pl/home/. The registration will be closed on August 12th, 2020.
- How difficult it is to be admitted to the American Studies Center?
The ranking list is based on the results of the secondary-school-leaving exam.
- How competitive is the selective entry admission at the ASC?
It’s been lately 2.3 candidates per place.
- What are the required English language qualifications?
B2 is absolutely necessary.
- Are there any “native speakers” among the faculty, i.e., faculty members for who English is their mother tongue?
Yes, among the ASC faculty members are four American academics.
- Is all instruction in English?
Correct; all the classes at the ASC are in English.
- When should I apply for housing?
Applications for housing should be filed within 10 days after you file your admissions documentation at the ASC. For more go to: http://bss.uw.edu.pl/
- What is the most important factor in the admissions process?
To be successful, the candidate must have a high grade from English at the HL level.
- Are there any limits imposed on the number of places offered this year?
We are allowed to admit 197 candidates and there are 5 more places for students transferred from other universities.
- What are the differences between the program offered by the ASC and that of the English Institute of the University of Warsaw?
Both programs are very different. The ASC offers an American Studies program. It does not teach English, the methodology of teaching foreign languages, linguistics or translation. ASC’s is an English-language program whose objective is the study of the culture, politics and economy of the United States.
- Can one become a translator after graduating from the ASC?
The American Studies Center does not offer any practical translation skills classes. That said, many of our alumni, who learned their translation skills elsewhere, specialize in translations of American text, that is, text requiring good knowledge of American culture and society.
- What are the requirements for BA dissertations?
You will find a full answer to this question here: https://www.asc.uw.edu.pl/students/ba-program/#ba-examinations
- What is the program’s full curriculum?
The curriculum is described here https://www.asc.uw.edu.pl/students/ba-program/#program-downloads
MA PROGRAM (2ND DEGREE)
- What is the limit for the number of places available in the year 2020-2021 in the MA program?
We can admit 70 candidates and have reserved 3 places for students transferred from other universities.
- Do I have to register for the exam, besides registering in the IRK online system?
No, there is no need to do that. By registering in the IRK online system, you automatically register for the exam.
- The entrance exam predates my BA diploma exam. Can I take the entrance exam anyway?
Yes. Just be sure to file your diploma or a certificate attesting to the completion of the BA exam by September 30, 2020. The diploma is necessary for the admission to become complete; only after you submit all the required documents, the diploma included, will we be able to issue an official decision.
- If I registered in IRK for the first round of admissions to the MA program and took the exam but did not get in, do I need to register again for the second round of admissions?
Yes, you always register in IRK for the round of admissions that is open at the moment. If we have places available after the first round of admissions closes, we will organize the second round, with a new exam. You will not be automatically registered for the second round, you need to register in IRK again for the new round of admissions and the new exam.